Friday, March 26, 2010

Rexburg Fishing Ponds





















The ice has melted off one of the ponds at the Rexburg nature park. The goldfish weren't biting but the trout certainly were! I pulled out 15 trout in about an hour and a half. Most were around 12-13 inches but one of them was 16 inches. I was using a "Worden Triple Teaser" gold with an orange tip.

After I took a picture of the larger fish, the fish unhooked itself and landed on the ground. I placed it in the water and let it relax for minute and then I let it go. Rather than swim away, it started acting crazy. It turned around and tried to come up the bank. I pushed it away from the shore and it promptly flipped over and died. I noticed a few people walking by who were also watching this upside down fish in the water. Shocked by this odd experience, I decided to start fishing some more. Ten minutes later, I decided to check on the dead fish. Sure enough, it was in the same spot upside down. I decided to poke it with my pole like a little kid with a pole should. As soon as I poked it, it swam away without any side effects. First time I have ever seen a fish play dead! Maybe it had a concussion when it fell?

I'll try my luck on the snake river south fork next----

No comments:

Post a Comment