Friday, April 9, 2010

My first catch on a dry fly!!

Now that I have all the equipment necessary to fly fish, I have been itching to get out there and try my skills. I went after work to one of my spots on the lower provo river. Once I got all setup, I went down to one of my favorite spots and started to cast out. I didnt see any fish rising, so I started with a couple of wet flies. There were a few other fly fisherman around so I'm sure I looked like an idiot when I couldnt get my line out there, or got it tangled in a bush behind me. After about an hour of no luck with the wet flies, the fish started to rise and feed off the surface. I decided to try a dry fly to see if I could catch one that way. I wasnt too optimistic because I have heard dry flies are harder to catch fish with. I tried anyway, and after about ten minutes I had my first fish on. It was so awesome watching my little fly on the surface be attacked from below by a nice brown trout. I fought him for a while and he was a pretty good fighter, he jumped out of the water a few times and kept running on me downstream. After about 5 minutes of fighting I was finally able to land him. I am now hooked on fly fishing.

1 comment:

  1. Great story! Don't worry about catching the bushes on your cast, I had that happen once:)

    Good looking fish, I'm going to have to get me a fly rod.

    ReplyDelete